Wednesday, 8 February 2012

The Gallery, a family story




The Gallery theme this week is "A Family Story". This photo is actually less of a story but more about the fond memories that the picture invokes. The photo was taken in my Nana's garden. I must've been 2 years old. I'm sat on my Uncle Tim's knee. My Dad is sat at the front on the grass (looking all young and handsome).
Now although I don't remember this moment it brings back a hundred memories in an instant!...
My Grandad used to grow onions and lay them on the path to dry once they'd grown. I used to sit and peel the skins off them! Not helpful but it must've been fun.
My Dad and Tim were and still are fans of gadgets! I'd bet a fiver that this photo wasn't taken by my mum or an Aunty!... Most likely on a tripod using self-timer.
The old man next door was a lovely chap. One of those who passed us the frisbee back EVERY time it went over his hedge, without moaning.
I could go on but I won't. I love this photo. It's one of very few I have of me and my Dad when I was young.

Our memories are what we base the family stories on that we pass on to our own children so I suppose this is about a family story after all.

7 comments:

Sarah @ PhotoFairytales said...

Lovely photo - you look so much like your dad! The Hickey genes must be very strong!! Sarah xx

saveeverystep said...

Every memory you have is a family story, in my humble opinion. It's the childhood memories which endure longest, and which have powerful meaning when a parent dies and you become older. I'm obsessed (can you tell?!) with encouraging people to preserve their CURRENT memories as a legacy for their kids - these are their history, and will become precious little heirlooms when they're older and we're gone.
http://www.saveeverystep.com - family stories on a chronological timeline

Jacq said...

What a lovely photo. I love your blue socks :)I don't have many photos with my father either so make sure I have plenty of my children with theirs.

Herding Cats said...

What a lovely photo! I have pictures of myself dressing in much the same attire. Great post.

Erica Price said...

Great family picture - it's nice to have a photo with your dad I often think that gets forgotten.

Emily (@amummytoo) said...

What a lovely picture - and a great collection of mini-stories to bring it to life. A real joy to read.

helloitsgemma said...

perfect and does what a story should takes you back to the moment.

Post a Comment